Sorry to those with podophobia (fear of feet) but this blog is all about feet! Let’s be honest, they’ve been neglected over the past 5 months and sandal season is fast approaching. Here are some tips to get them in tip top condition for summer. (But also things you should be doing all year round anyway..)
1. Shoes The most important part of taking care of your feet is ensuring you’re wearing the correct shoes. We’ve all been there, they only have size 5’s left in that gorgeous pair of shoes you’ve seen and you’re a size 6. “I can squeeze into those, they’ll stretch after a few wears.” Actually you’re risking not only blisters, corns and calluses but extended wear of shoes that are too small will affect the bones and joints in the foot. Shoes that have cushioned soles, support the arch and hold your feet in place.
2. Avoid discolouration Keep your toe nails looking beautiful and avoid yellow discolouration by ensuring you always use a base coat when applying polish at home.
3. Healthy growth Your toe nails typically grow at half the rate of your fingernails, therefore they only need to be trimmed every 4-6 weeks. Avoid the risk of ingrown toe nails and infection by cutting your nails straight across and filing them into a soft square shape. Nail clippers are best, scissors can cause damage to the nail and the skin around it.
4. Go to a pro Regular pedicures are essential in keeping your feet looking fabulous. Pedicures typically include cutting and filing of the nails, removal of dead cuticle, exfoliation and hard skin removal followed by moisturiser. You can then have the nails painted in the finish you prefer. I suggest one every 4-6 weeks!
5. Exfoliate & Moisturise Exfoliating at home 3 times a week and moisturising daily will keep skin feeling soft and smooth. Feet often get forgotten when we’re exfoliating but due to our full body weight being put on the soles of our feet, the skin doesn’t exfoliate naturally and needs a helping hand. A coarse sugary type scrub is perfect for the feet. Applying moisturiser before bed and sleeping with cotton socks on will help the skin repair.
The next chapter for Spark & Flutter has begun and I could not be more excited. For the past 4 years of its life, Spark & Flutter has been comfortably at home in John Richard Hair, Brentwood. As much as I have loved my time there, meeting new people, gaining loyal clients and friends, life should always keep moving and so Spark & Flutter Billericay opened its doors for business on February 1st 2020.
My beauty career began in Summer 2010, whilst on my school holidays I took my first manicure & pedicure qualification and started treating clients. I have since gone on to train in a wide variety of treatments that I am now pleased to offer from my new treatment room based within The Face, Billericay.
As my career began with nails, it only seems appropriate that I introduce you to my nail services first.
Classic manicure & pedicure will always be the heart of all nail services, whilst I still offer classic nail polish finishes, gel polish is one of my most popular treatments. After trialling many different brands, The Gel Bottle Inc is the shining star amongst them. It offers a huge selection of colours that are highly pigmented with long lasting shine, as well as the holy grail of all products, Builder-in-a-bottle!
Builder-in-a-bottle, or BIAB, is an innovative product that is easily removable by soaking in acetone as you would with any other gel polish product, but also reinforces the natural nail, can be used to create short and natural looking extensions and repair damaged nails.
If longer or stronger enhancements are what you need I offer both acrylic & hard gel nail extensions with a gel polish finish too, there is something to suit everyone.
Lashes are my second love in life, I absolutely love creating beautiful lash sets using Classic or Russian extension techniques. Lashes don’t have to be long or bold, although thats perfectly okay too, but most people look for a natural enhancement to the eyes, something that makes their make up routine quicker and so we can style your lash extensions to suit you and your lifestyle.
Along with nails & lashes, I offer a variety of brow and waxing services along with all the aftercare to take home with you.
I’m eager to see what the next 4 years bring and am so grateful that you are all here to take the journey with me. I hope to share many things on this blog, may it be business, personal or beyond. In the future I hope to launch a quarterly newsletter to keep you all up to date with the launches and happenings at Spark & Flutter.
Keep those eyes peeled, and don’t forget, follow and tag me on Facebook & Instagram using @sparkandflutter